Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/class_core.php on line 39

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/class_core.php:39) in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/functions.php on line 803

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/class_core.php:39) in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/functions.php on line 803

Deprecated: Function eregi_replace() is deprecated in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/functions_post.php on line 146

Deprecated: Function eregi_replace() is deprecated in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/functions_post.php on line 146

2008 Sorento grease fittings ???
Current time: 08-29-2014, 01:17 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Jamie
Sorento Fan

Group: Registered

Please give info on how many fittings are their to Grease at oil changes, I know of Four, are their more under a 2008 Sorento ???, Thanks Much

07-22-2012 09:32 PM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Jman9895
Sorento Guru

RE: 2008 Sorento grease fittings ???

there are fittings on the tie rod ends, ball joints (depends on if they are factory or aftermarket some do, some dont) on BOTH U Joints, one on the driveshaft, and dont forget to grease the doors and hood joints.

07-23-2012 07:30 PM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
07SorentoGuy
SS Donor

Group: SS Donor

Jman, any specific grease we should use?

Also, where could I find pictures/drawings identifying all grease points? Would they be identified somewhere on kiatechinfo.com maybe?

07-24-2012 08:15 PM
Jman9895
Sorento Guru

they may, but sometimes tie rod ends and ball joints come from the factory without grease fittings, then when they are replaced, they are replaced with ones that have grease fittings. I primarily used MOOG suspension parts at my shop and they always had grease fittings. If we were only doing one tie rod or ball joint, then the vehicle would only have fittings on one side. Kiamech may be able to tell you if they came from the factory with fittings, but a good rule of thumb is "if it moves or pivots there is probably a fitting" I would look at the tie rods and ball joints, I know for a fact there are ones on the factory drive shaft slip joint (you may need to rotate the drive shaft to get to that one) and on both U Joints and I think that's it. If you are unsure what tie rods and ball joints are, this is a good site.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/steering2.htm

I actually used it when I helped teach a nite course at the local voc school.

As far as grease goes it depends on your area. I do plow repair and spend alot of time in the state highway salt pits in the winter, with that and all the salt on the roads I use a heavy red truck grease Like REDi or delo. If you are not beating the crap out of the truck, whatever you have in your grease gun is fine.

Oh yeah, the ones on the drive shaft and U Joints are covered by little black plastic caps, dont forget to put those back on, replacing those grease fittings is a real pain in the ass as they are in a really tight spot.

07-24-2012 08:34 PM
Jman9895
Sorento Guru

as far as greasing the hood and door hinges, I just use a spray lube. I dont like using sprayable white lithium grease as it looks messy. I use a product called miracle lube but any silicone/spray lube should be fine. If you want to get real fancy fluid film works well too

07-24-2012 08:38 PM
07SorentoGuy
SS Donor

Group: SS Donor

Jman, thanks for the info. The weblink is very helpful! Greasing the fittings is something I've neglected and need to pay more attention to. I've never done it myself before so I'll let you know how it goes!

07-27-2012 10:49 PM
Jman9895
Sorento Guru

its not hard, just make sure the gun is on the fitting, if it doesnt seem to be going in, the zerk (grease) fitting could be shot, if thats the case its time to replace them. As you replace the suspension components (tie rods and ball joints dont last forever), replace them with ones with grease fittings, some brands are "lubricated for life with synthetic grease" that's a load of bull...

07-31-2012 01:14 PM
nstoolman1
Sorento God

I have looked at this thread and am wondering. I have an 03 Sorie. It did not come with zerk fittings except on the drive shaft. I have been working on cars since before some of you were born. Possibly your parents so I know the undercarriage of vehicles pretty well. Did the newer Sories come with greasable ball joints? I have not worked on one so I don't know. Hence the question.

07-31-2012 05:38 PM
Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Jman9895
Sorento Guru

not sure, i had mine on my lift today and forgot to check to be honest, they may not have had them from the factory, but alot of aftermarket suspension companies use them. I have seen cars (many gm but there were others) that would not have had grease-able ball joints from the factory, but after one goes bad, i'd throw a new one in and it would have a grease fitting. Some aftermarket companies just make them that way. My charger, had a driver side tie rod end with a fitting and the pass side did not. Many newer vehicles do not have them. To be honest, id rather have them as I can put fresh grease in. I havnt had mine very long and the last time I did an LOF on it I had one of my techs do it for me. I need to get back under there tomorrow to put the skid plate back up, (took it down to send it to line-x) so i'll try to remember to look then.

07-31-2012 09:56 PM

Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites
Rate This Thread: