Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/class_core.php on line 39

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/class_core.php:39) in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/functions.php on line 803

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/class_core.php:39) in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/functions.php on line 803

Deprecated: Function eregi_replace() is deprecated in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/functions_post.php on line 146

Deprecated: Function eregi_replace() is deprecated in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/functions_post.php on line 146

Wheel alignment after lifting
Current time: 09-23-2014, 01:18 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 » Last » Post Reply  Post Thread 

cobalt
Sorento Guru

Group: Registered

I was wondering something. After installing Daystar kit, the front wheel position, after doing the all four wheel alignment, looks like in pos. 3 (positive camber) in this picture:

And everyone who I asked about this issue, says that's normal thing after lifting. But what I do not like is noticeably rapidly wearing the outer edges
of front tires. So my question is:
If anyone has a similar problem, and can this be solved by adjusting the lower arm ball joint? Or leave it as it is, and rotating tires more often

2003.  2.5 EX CRDi  -->169bhp/4090rpm ; 368Nm/1880rpm ; Silver

10-22-2011 06:06 AM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Gee6
SS Donor

Group: SS Donor
RE: Wheel alignment after lifting

You say you had a "four wheel alignment" done. What did they set the front camber to?? zero degrees is a good number.

I drive a diesel - I'm all torque!
Garage
10-22-2011 09:54 AM
Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
cobalt
Sorento Guru

Zero it is now.
Can't find latest alignment printout, but this is par ex. second time doing alignment,couple month after lift kit installed, printout.

Upper picture is before, and lower picture is after adjustment.
Being on two or tree different shops, because this really bother me. But, the numbers said; straight as an arrow...

This post was last modified: 10-22-2011 10:49 AM by cobalt.

10-22-2011 10:48 AM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Sorento Guru

When I lifted mine I had the alignment checked and the front was miles out ! The read out was very similar to yours Cobalt, possibly the same type of alignment machine ? My tyre wear was incredibly even from that point on with virtually no edge wear at all. Sadly, I don't have the alignment chart as it went with the car when I got my new Sorento.

10-22-2011 11:39 AM
jfrey123
Sorento God

They adjust camber by using a little dial setup on the lower control arms, where the lower arms connect to the frame. There's no adjustment available with the ball joints.

Yes, you need an alignment after installing the Daystar lift.  On my Sorie, I've been told they had to max out the available adjustment to get me back "in spec" by two different alignment shops.

This post was last modified: 10-24-2011 11:58 AM by jfrey123.

10-24-2011 11:58 AM
cobalt
Sorento Guru

RE:  Wheel alignment after lifting

jfrey123 Wrote:

They adjust camber by using a little dial setup on the lower control arms, where the lower arms connect to the frame. There's no adjustment available with the ball joints.

I know that, but there, on the 3 ball joint bolts is some kind of sliding holes (sorry, but can't find appropriate expression for it). And i wonder, why they are made like this?

jfrey123 Wrote:
Yes, you need an alignment after installing the Daystar lift.  On my Sorie, I've been told they had to max out the available adjustment to get me back "in spec" by two different alignment shops

I do it, just after installed, on the place. And I do 3 or 4 times after that, on the different shops. All measurements are perfect, but still i think something's not right....I don't know. Maybe this is got to be like that, but still don't like it.
I'm switching on 15'' wheels soon. With 265/70 15 tires. Should see then, what's appearance on the front.

This post was last modified: 10-25-2011 05:22 AM by cobalt.

10-25-2011 05:20 AM
jfrey123
Sorento God

That's strange, my '05 has no sliding adjustments on those three ball joint bolts. I'm starting to wonder now if there's a difference between the 03-04 and 05-06 control arms now...

Nothing is adjustable on the rear end, so a 4 wheel alignment is a waste of money. Go with the 2 wheel alignment in the future, if possible. And if it were me, I'd take it back to the last alignment shop that told you everything is good, and I'd ask why the tires are wearing out on the outer edge. Tell them you expect the vehicle to be aligned properly and not wear out the outer tire edges.

Oh, and let me know how the 15" rims fit. I was always concerned that the 15" rims would not clear the caliper. One guy online somewhere put 15's on his Sorento and had to shave the calipers with a grinder... :-o

10-25-2011 11:40 AM
cobalt
Sorento Guru

I had to check the rear, because after lifting,the panhard rod could pull the rear axle on the side , if it's a bit short. This is some story about his angle or something , and the car could pull on the side while driving ( that's small tip from my friends, just to check do I need the adjustable one).
I manage to get some Suzuki Vitara's 7x15 ET+15 rims reaaaly cheap ....so waiting some of my off road friends to fix hand to hand delivery. There's no hurry, so will wait.
Anyway, that spanish guy here, Romero, i think, give's me inspired, so will give it a shoot, and if calipers, not really the calipers, than his ''cooling'' feathers, and lower ball joint bolt, needed to be shaved...what a h.... they will be shaved.
By my calculations, approx. 6mm. But it depend of the rim construction.Maybe even less.
Think there's no big deal, and could not make any damage of any relevant parts.
And the tire choice seems to be larger here.....
But first will try on rear axle, to see if offset is calculated well, then resolve the center bore adapter rings issue and the longer lugs, like this one:

Then, if everything will be set properly, going to do some rubber chase

10-25-2011 12:32 PM
jfrey123
Sorento God

RE:  Wheel alignment after lifting

cobalt Wrote:

( that's small tip from my friends, just to check do I need the adjustable one).

I just recently found the adjustable one on customsorento. I'm not using one, haven't noticed any problem from not having it. The issue you describe is possible, I just haven't noticed it. I'm slowly working on a custom lift, and when/if I go taller, I will be replacing all 5 of the rear link bars (4 link control arms and the panhard bar as well) and at that time the panhard bar will become adjustable.

For now, it works fine as is.

10-25-2011 04:19 PM
palace
Sorento Guru

RE: Daystar vs OME kits
As you boys know I have the OME suspension from my diatribe OME or Ironman suspension...

Now thousands of miles on & off road fantastic expensive but fantastic.
Particularly on Yokohama Geolander AT-S better ride, handling & articulation
Just remember to set tracking & camber to 0'degrees

To lazy to type out again...

No perceptible unusual tyre wear in 20000 miles though I do rotate tyres around every 7000 miles...

This post was last modified: 10-27-2011 05:16 AM by palace.

10-27-2011 05:13 AM
Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 » Last »

Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites
Rate This Thread: