Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/class_core.php on line 39

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/class_core.php:39) in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/functions.php on line 803

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/class_core.php:39) in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/functions.php on line 803

Deprecated: Function eregi_replace() is deprecated in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/functions_post.php on line 146

Deprecated: Function eregi_replace() is deprecated in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/functions_post.php on line 146

04 Transfer Case with Torque on Demand
Current time: 07-22-2014, 04:32 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Superiorite
Sorento Fan

Group: Registered

OK so here is the story in a nutshell.
Got the Kia had no 4x4 crawled under it to find out that the X-case had been switched to a non TOD model. Well I called the previous owner to find out what happened. Found out that the x-case was changed out by a local shop and they charged her $600 to change the case and when she got it back it still did not have 4x4. I called the shop and got the x-case back from them. I asked them why they changed it and he said they could not remember.
So here is the dilemma!
I have the original in the garage and the non TOD one in the garage
according to the previous owner it made noise that's why she brought it in.
How do I tell if something is wrong with the TOD one before putting it back in and finding out there was or is an issue?

Also is there any parts in the NON TOD one that are usable for the TOD one if there is an issue?

Is there any way to tell if its working right by manually turning the actuator in the case and seeing what shafts spin?

the TOD one when I spin the input shaft always spins the front output shaft regardless of the selector position.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
thanks

Its a 04 sorento EX with TOD transfer case.

04-15-2011 04:28 PM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
KiaMech
SS Donor

Group: SS Donor
RE: 04 Transfer Case with Torque on Demand

Nice shop. I don't quite understand why they would swap it out and then hand it back not functioning, but whatever.

The transfer cases are completely different and I'd be surprised if even one part was interchangable with the other. Chances are, the previous owner brought it in for a reason and they diagnosed the reason as a bad transfer case. Unless it was really bad, there isn't any way to tell if it is bad unless you pull it apart.

Save a life, Donate Blood

After that head over to www.SorentoNation.com and say hi.

Due to the lack of time I have to answer posts and PM's, I won't be able to participate as much as I have in the past. PM's have also been turned off.
04-15-2011 05:08 PM
Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Superiorite
Sorento Fan

Well I looked in the fill hole and the chain is sloppy I think anyway it moves up and down over an inch. I think this may be an issue

04-15-2011 06:24 PM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
KiaMech
SS Donor

Group: SS Donor

Sounds like it may have broke.

Save a life, Donate Blood

After that head over to www.SorentoNation.com and say hi.

Due to the lack of time I have to answer posts and PM's, I won't be able to participate as much as I have in the past. PM's have also been turned off.
04-15-2011 06:33 PM
Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Superiorite
Sorento Fan

No it did not break. nothing in the case looks out of place other than the chain appears to be loose. dont suppose anyone knows how to tell if clutch plates are bad LOL.

04-15-2011 08:06 PM
jfrey123
Sorento God

I'd take the t-case to a small time tranny shop. Since it's out of the vehicle already, and if you ask them to work on it in their spare time, they might give you a good deal.

04-18-2011 11:59 AM
Superiorite
Sorento Fan

Just a follow up! I got the case split and I ordered a new chain for it. It works great no more loud noise and it got me back on my way for only $90 for the chain from Transstar. Now there is only about 1/2" of play in the chain!

04-23-2011 11:21 PM
Smallcarguy
Sorento Fan

Nice!

04-24-2011 09:10 AM

Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites
Rate This Thread: