Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/class_core.php on line 39

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/class_core.php:39) in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/functions.php on line 803

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/class_core.php:39) in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/functions.php on line 803

Deprecated: Function eregi_replace() is deprecated in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/functions_post.php on line 146

Deprecated: Function eregi_replace() is deprecated in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/functions_post.php on line 146

How is your Sorento in the snow?
Current time: 10-31-2014, 07:47 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 » Last » Post Reply  Post Thread 

kiaman03
Sorento Fan

Group: Registered

I have an 03 2WD Sorento[Which we bought this summer} and it pretty much sucks in the snow. It has the SNOW knob which helps a little bit {I guess} I forgot how sucky rear wheel drive is in the snow. I found out today with 10 inches of snow falling. Its gonna be a long winter!

12-11-2010 10:32 PM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Sorento Guru

RE: How is your Sorento in the snow?

Yes, you will struggle a bit with rear wheel drive. We didn't get any 2wd versions in the UK, only the latest 2010 model is available as a 2wd. My advice would be some snow chains or a set of all terrain / mud terrain tyre's (tire's, sorry forgot). Best of luck.

P.S. mines great in the snow with General Grabber AT2's fitted.

This post was last modified: 12-12-2010 03:56 AM by 2112.

12-12-2010 03:56 AM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
Moose
Sorento Freak

mines a 03 4wd and it's pretty good unless you hit a slick patch

oldjeep.com
streetkiaz.com
jfrey123 Wrote:

Moose's rear end is the model I'm talking about. 
12-12-2010 12:41 PM
mmartin
Sorento Guru

I had a 2005 LX 4x4 and it was amazing in the snow. Sorry to tell you that. Last year we had 2 feet of snow overnight and the next day my Sorie took it like a champ. In fact I had to help a Chevy Blazer out of a ditch.

It was even good when I had semi bald tires. When I got new ones the thing was like a tank. And I live in Pittsburgh which is very hilly.

Now I own a 2011 AWD and I certainly hope it performs as well if not better in the snow.

Mike

12-12-2010 05:43 PM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Visit authors website Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
jfrey123
Sorento God

I've had my 05 4WD off road in the snow and they are a champ until they literally get high centered on snow that goes past my knees. On road the Sorie is the best I've had, but it does take a technique. The locking rear takes a little bit of getting used to and can make the rear squirrley if you give it too much gas with the steering wheel turned.

I've pulled maybe 20 or so cars out of ditches in the snow in my Sorento's life. One was a minivan where a snow plow driver stopped and told them he couldn't do anything for them. Sorie gave a quick tug and the family was on their way again.

RWD is the absolute worst for snow. You will certainly want to look into chains or studded tires for the rear, or you will get yourself stuck a lot.

12-12-2010 07:19 PM
Planecrazy
Sorento Guru

I put a set of Michelin LTX AT2 tires on my '03 Sorento recently (as well as the same on my '05 Ford Excursion Diesel) and those tires are AWESOME!  They are quiet on the road, great in the snow, good in the rain and ice, and have a reputation for lasting a long time.  They cost a bit more (you get what you pay for) compared to similar tires from other brands, but I won't ever use another type now that I've found these.

Having said that, because you have a 2wd Sorento I'd suggest that you consider "winter" tires.  They grip on snow and ice much better than even my Michelins, but they're only made for winter use - if you run them during the dry summer months you'll ruin them quickly.  I saw a test of winter vs all-season tires on an ice rink recently, and the winter tires performed almost as good on a sheet of ice as regular tires do on dry pavement - IMPRESSIVE!

The only downfall, of course, is that you have to swap your tires out twice a year AND you need enough garage space to store the ones you're not using.  Obviously it would be more convenient if you kept all the tires mounted on an extra set of wheels, but that can get pricey too.  Still, if you have the space and the extra $$ there's no better solution!

Regards,

Steve Sun
Buffalo Grove, IL

2003 Silver Sorento EX (wife's) - sold
Premium slotted/dimpled discs - AWESOME upgrade!!

2005 Ford Excursion Diesel (Mine)
'83 Suzuki GS1100G, '80 GS550L (recently sold), '82 GS1100GK (Project Bike)

This post was last modified: 02-06-2011 05:41 PM by Planecrazy.

12-13-2010 11:05 AM
kiaman03
Sorento Fan

Thanks for the replies. I figured as much [that I would need a different set of tires on the back.] I believe the last time i I had rear wheel drive was on my first car--a 1963 chevy impala. I will definitely look into a new set of rear tires, because the present ones just are not going to cut it.

12-14-2010 12:46 PM
Planecrazy
Sorento Guru

RE:  How is your Sorento in the snow?

kiaman03 Wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I figured as much [that I would need a different set of tires on the back.] I believe the last time i I had rear wheel drive was on my first car--a 1963 chevy impala. I will definitely look into a new set of rear tires, because the present ones just are not going to cut it.

For those with AWD, be careful about replacing your tires only two at a time ... I've been told (and it makes sense) that staggering tires, or using two different types of tires front and rear on an AWD equipped vehicle can cause the system to get confused and engage/disengage the automatic 4WD (Torque on Demand for us EX Sorento folks) sporatically. With more and more vehicles coming with an automatically engaging AWD system, there is a lot of potential for seemingly mysterious driveline problems to be caused by unmatched tires...

Obviously this doesn't apply in Kiaman03's case (since he has a 2WD Sorento), but I wonder if the ABS system might also get confused by wheels spinning at slightly different rates due to wear or slight size differences?

Regards,

Steve Sun
Buffalo Grove, IL

2003 Silver Sorento EX (wife's) - sold
Premium slotted/dimpled discs - AWESOME upgrade!!

2005 Ford Excursion Diesel (Mine)
'83 Suzuki GS1100G, '80 GS550L (recently sold), '82 GS1100GK (Project Bike)
12-14-2010 02:32 PM
guitarxace
Sorento Freak

06 lx here 4x4 with my old suv tires it did great? now i just bought genreal grabber at 2 tires so im hoping it will be even better in the snow! pics coming to my garage as soon as i feel like signing in from my iphone!

12-17-2010 11:26 AM
Frrrrrrunkis
Sorento Guru

RE:  How is your Sorento in the snow?

guitarxace Wrote:

06 lx here 4x4 with my old suv tires it did great?  now i just bought genreal grabber at 2 tires so im hoping it will be even better in the snow!  pics coming to my garage as soon as i feel like signing in from my iphone!

I have the General Grabbers on my 07 TOD.
I love them, and my truck in the snow. The other day we wound up with a few inches of snow here on Long Island. I enjoyed immesly, torturing my sister as I turned the ESC off and drove around. It took her a few minutes to realize that the 4x4 was kicking in too. ;P

Finding places On Long Island to Off road can be hazardous to your wallet (and License)
12-18-2010 01:05 AM
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 » Last »

Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites
Rate This Thread: