Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/class_core.php on line 39

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/class_core.php:39) in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/functions.php on line 803

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/class_core.php:39) in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/functions.php on line 803

Deprecated: Function eregi_replace() is deprecated in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/functions_post.php on line 146

Deprecated: Function eregi_replace() is deprecated in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/functions_post.php on line 146

Borrego V8 Swap into Sorento...
Current time: 07-24-2014, 05:41 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 » Last » Post Reply  Post Thread 

soar4fun
Sorento Guru

Group: Registered

Although I have a quick Sorento thats new (less than 7500K) miles on it I am enticed by the possibility to have 375HP under the hood of the Sorie. Scratchchin

Add a filter, exhaust, and a small squeeze kit and you would approach/surpass Cayenne Turbo Territory! I know it's early for me to talk about it but if your 03-06 sorie is paid off--this could be the setup to extend its life and make it fast!

Does anyone have any additional information about the Genesis powerplant, ECU, or gearbox? KiaMech--any data you have would be appreciated! This would be a CARB legal swap because it's SUV to SUV and a newer motor.

Sun

03-21-2008 10:43 AM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Visit authors website Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
KiaMech
SS Donor

Group: SS Donor
RE: Borrego V8 Swap into Sorento...

No information yet. I don't know about it being legal though. I've always heard it's illegal to swap a different engine into any vehicle with emissions.

Save a life, Donate Blood

After that head over to www.SorentoNation.com and say hi.

Due to the lack of time I have to answer posts and PM's, I won't be able to participate as much as I have in the past. PM's have also been turned off.
03-21-2008 11:23 AM
Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
mat300zx
Sorento Guru

In Aus its ok to swap engines provided the new engine is the same age or newer than the car its going into There are also size limits but without going into to much detail a V8 in a sorento would be OK But twin turbos would be easier and more power productive 375hp is only 280kw 3.8L with twin turbos would easily beat that figure on only low boost

03-25-2008 02:30 AM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
soar4fun
Sorento Guru

You know of a turbo kit? Fuel Management would be the problem--not to mention the dreaded rath of the carb. I have a turbo Miata *drove it work today :-) * and turbos are fun!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/soar4fun

03-25-2008 09:26 AM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Visit authors website Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
mat300zx
Sorento Guru

Fuel managements not a big issue as long as the pump can keep up low pressure say 4 to 5 PSI boost to go higher fueling and timing starts to become an issue My factory falcon XR6 turbo only runs 5 psi and puts out 240 Kw only going up to 8 psi makes that figure approx 340 Kw as tested on several other cars locally. Wife has OK'd the twin turbo's on the sorrie when funds allow (that could be a while off)

03-26-2008 04:19 AM
Send the author an email Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
SilverBullet
Sorento Master

swapping illegal.

How many cops are going to stop you and ask to look under the hood for an OEM engine?

If I had the time, money, and was single I would look into it. My swapping engine days are over.

To do it you pretty much have to swap the engine, tranny, and ECU. Maybe the driveshaft and exhaust to actually get it to work and some chassis modification you most likely can do it.

I had to do a lot with my Cougar when I did my Cobra engine swap.

2K7 Sorento LX 4x4 Clear Silver Metallic
Not your average grocery getter.

Other Toys:
2003 Ford Focus ZTS
2004 Dodge Neon SXT
03-26-2008 07:57 AM
KiaMech
SS Donor

I wasn't thinking that a cop would pull you over, but around here we have a little thing called emissions. You probably wouldn't have any problem getting it to pass as long as they didn't go back to a visual inspection.

Around here you also would have to do it yourself. If someone comes in and wants a swap done, it's a $10K fine and a possible suspended business license if you get caught. It is not a problem for a shop to work on it after it's done though. In fact, as long as the new engine is bolted in (not running) it's ok for a shop to work on it.

Keep in mind that's just how it works around here. I'm sure in other countries its not a problem or there's just different laws.

Due to the lack of time I have to answer posts and PM's, I won't be able to participate as much as I have in the past. PM's have also been turned off.
03-26-2008 10:54 AM
Send the author a private message Find all posts by this author Quote this message in a reply
sorentorocker
Sorento Guru

Hey Kimech,
Due to the constant improvement to emissions in vehicles, I thought it was ok to do an engine swap as long as the engine going into the vehicle is street legal and either the same or newer in year to the vehicle it is going into.

I remember going through some of this stuff when I was looking into putting a type-R motor into my Integra.

03-26-2008 11:40 AM
KiaMech
SS Donor

It could have changed, or is just different where you live. I wonder where I can go to look up what the current law states...

03-26-2008 12:09 PM
sorentorocker
Sorento Guru

Californian here bro...home of the emisions overlordsHissyfit

03-26-2008 12:14 PM
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 » Last »

Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites
Rate This Thread: