Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/class_core.php on line 39

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/class_core.php:39) in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/functions.php on line 803

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/class_core.php:39) in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/functions.php on line 803

Deprecated: Function eregi_replace() is deprecated in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/functions_post.php on line 146

Deprecated: Function eregi_replace() is deprecated in /home/sorentos/public_html/forum/inc/functions_post.php on line 146

Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - Printable Version
Sorentosite.com...We know more about the Sorento than KIA does!
Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - Printable Version

+- Sorentosite.com...We know more about the Sorento than KIA does! (http://www.sorentosite.com/forum)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Forum: Announcements & News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws (/showthread.php?tid=4840)

Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - KiaMech - 05-23-2008 11:17 AM

I just saw on kiatechinfo that the infamous butterfly screw/anti-rattle clip problem will be a recall. I'm not sure how to post it, but feel free to post it if you do.

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - K Spec - 05-23-2008 12:13 PM

This recall campaign is affecting Sorentos produced from 06/19/2002 to 04/21/2005. You can check your production date on the sticker located on the driver's side door jam. If you want to download the official PDF, right click and save as (10 pages long, about 2mb):

http://www.theglt.com/sorento_recall.pdf

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - Planecrazy - 05-23-2008 01:13 PM

Cool ... I'll call the dealer and get my truck in soon!

Regards,

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - cbotd - 05-23-2008 01:25 PM

This is GREAT timing. My CEL just came on today. I plugged in my vacuum harness and the light went off. Coincidence? I think not. Karma is telling me something.

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - LXEdition - 05-23-2008 02:24 PM

Called my dealership to book my appointment and they heard nothing of it...printed it off and will bring to them, this was a huge concern of mine since I only have 3000km's to go for warranty related items...it's nice to see this on a Friday! Thanks KIAMech!!! you just made my weekend.

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - beyond_help - 05-23-2008 02:38 PM

i just called kia, the recalls are supposed to start to go out to customers 5-27-08 so i was told

now my engine was replaced at 4800 miles for the intake problem and as written on my copy of the engine replacement paperwork "plenum replaced w/counter measure plenum" but with no part number on the work order dated 6-20-05

i ask the kia "help person" at 1-800-333-4542 if this would disqualify me for the recall and she said "NO" due to the fact that the latest lower plenum listed in the recall was not installed in my sorento and i will be receiving the recall reguardless of previous related work done

well, i will just wait and see

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - bigb - 05-25-2008 01:36 AM

so is this gonna fix the butterfly shaft seal?? i notice mine started leakin a little and i get a very light rough idle every now and again. if i spray carb cleaner around the shaft on the front of the maifold, the engine will rev a little higher.

i hope this also fixes this, because i was gonna get it fixed under the warrenty that came with it when i bought it (used) but if this will save me the 100 bux deductable i ll wait.

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - KiaMech - 05-25-2008 10:56 AM

I haven't seen the replacement parts yet, but I bet it will fix it.

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - JaxSorento - 05-27-2008 02:31 PM

Just called my parts guy and he said they were out of the kits but should have them in tomorrow.... Gonna have a chat with my service manager about changing the spark plugs while they are down that far doing the recall....!!! Eyebrow

RE:  Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - Planecrazy - 05-27-2008 05:55 PM

JaxSorento Wrote:

Just called my parts guy and he said they were out of the kits but should have them in tomorrow.... Gonna have a chat with my service manager about changing the spark plugs while they are down that far doing the recall....!!! Eyebrow

That's and EXCELLENT idea!

Regards,
RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - bigb - 05-27-2008 08:27 PM

got mine set for the 9th to fix it.

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - boking1965 - 05-28-2008 11:59 AM

Called the service department to schedule an appointment and was told there is no recall. Told her to go to their tech web page and put in the number code I gave her and it will come up with it. She asked me were I got the info and told her from here. She said not all web sites are truthfull, told her this web site knows more about the sorento then all of the dealers put together and then some. Eyebrow She did not want to talk about that again. So I was the first to call about it and it goes in on the 25th.  

RE:  Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - K Spec - 05-28-2008 01:30 PM

boking1965 Wrote:

She asked me were I got the info and told her from here. She said not all web sites are truthfull, told her this web site knows more about the sorento then all of the dealers put together and then some. Eyebrow

I wonder if she thinks KIA's own site is truthful... that's where the info originally comes from. We are just an extremely efficient means of info distribution. Give 'em hell people.
RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - Gee6 - 05-29-2008 12:45 AM

It's sad, but true! My dealer only got the official Kia dealer computer set up early this year despite being a Kia only dealer for some time (I'm on my second Sorie from them) ........... have to wonder how many others out there have no connection to Kia's info?

Sorento 3.5 Recall - gator - 05-30-2008 11:51 AM

New camp. out to address the throttle screws that get ingested into the engine and causing all the engine damage. Camp. # is KT2008052101
Thats for 2003 thru 2005 sorento with 3.5 engine. Dont expect any dicount on replaceing the spark plugs while they have the upper end torn down. My dealer in Columbus Georgia still wanted $225.00 to replace plugs. Even the general manger would not help out. Talked to him about it and he ended up hanging up on me!!! Sorry Ass Dealer!!!!

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - LXEdition - 05-30-2008 12:03 PM

I just merged the threads together since it's the exact same topic....thanks for the information gator!

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - sorentochickrox - 05-30-2008 12:42 PM

Got mine done yesterday, no problems or issues to report.

RE: Sorento 3.5 Recall - Planecrazy - 05-30-2008 02:36 PM

gator Wrote:

New camp. out to address the throttle screws that get ingested into the engine and causing all the engine damage. Camp. # is KT2008052101
Thats for 2003 thru 2005 sorento with 3.5 engine. Dont expect any dicount on replaceing the spark plugs while they have the upper end torn down. My dealer in Columbus Georgia still wanted $225.00 to replace plugs. Even the general manger would not help out. Talked to him about it and he ended up hanging up on me!!! Sorry Ass Dealer!!!!

Called my dealer today ... due to a power outage his computers are down so he can't call up anything, but he didn't recognize the above campaign number as even being legitimate. He DID recognize the three digit campaign number I read off the original PDF earlier in this thread as a legitimate one, but still couldn't call up any info on it.

The good news ... He didn't think there'd be any major issue in merging a spark plug change with the recall, though he stated there'd be a charge for the labor involved to actually replace the plugs. I told him I couldn't imagine that being significant since the act of pulling and replacing six plugs couldn't take more than ten to fifteen minutes max... We'll see what happens when he calls back after the computers go online again.

Regards,
RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - cbotd - 05-30-2008 09:19 PM

Mine goes in next week while we're at DinseyWorld. New Fuel sending unit, this recall, and I might have those plugs done too.

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - K Spec - 05-30-2008 10:23 PM

Hey Planecrazy, which dealer do you take your Sorie to? I'm thinking about combining the recall campaign and the spark plug maintenance as well. I'm just about to roll over 60k. The guys at Schaumburg Kia usually treat me right.

RE:  Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - Planecrazy - 05-30-2008 10:32 PM

K Spec Wrote:

Hey Planecrazy, which dealer do you take your Sorie to? I'm thinking about combining the recall campaign and the spark plug maintenance as well. I'm just about to roll over 60k. The guys at Schaumburg Kia usually treat me right.
I bought my Sorento from Liberty Auto Plaza in Libertyville (on Milwaukee Ave.) and have been mostly satisfied over the years with their service. I'll let you (and everyone else) know what they plan to charge me for the spark plug job once they get back to me on the recall. I'll be interested to know what Schaumburg tells you, and I have no problem with giving them my business if they sound more reasonable than the Libertyville guys. Of course since I bought mine at Liberty I'm probably more likely to get a free loaner at my "home" dealership. We'll see.

Regards,
RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - Radek - 05-31-2008 11:07 AM

Well, looks like I'm calling up the 1 Kia dealership in this state on Monday and scheduling a time to drive to Billings.

I think I'm in need of my 30k service anyway.

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - LXEdition - 05-31-2008 06:03 PM

The Campaign isn't out in Canada yet so I will just have to wait for mine to be fixed. Banghead

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - PAOSorento - 06-01-2008 06:42 PM

got the official recall letter on Fri....a voluntary compaign...will call my local dealer in the AM....and get it scheduled.....106K miles on my 03 EX

Voluntary Service Campaign (a/k/a recall) - lok888 - 06-03-2008 09:28 AM

Did any 2003-2005 Kia Sorento owners receive the recall notice from Kia about the induction control valve (ICV) on the 3.5 liter engine?

What is the problem?

A metal clip which is part of the induction control valve (ICV) in the intake manifold of your vehicle's engine may break off. If this occurs, abnormal engine noise and vibration may occur along with impaired engine fuctioning and some loss of vehicle power. The problem may also illuminate the "Check Engine" light on your vehicle's dashboard. The problem may exist and engine damage may occur without such "Check Engine" light illumination.

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - LXEdition - 06-03-2008 09:34 AM

old news lok888...merged the thread to keep everything on topic in one place.

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - lok888 - 06-03-2008 09:55 AM

I just got the notice yesterday. The service bulletin actually has more detailed info for the recall. So exactly how long it will take for the job? The bulletin said 1.5 hours.

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - LXEdition - 06-03-2008 10:23 AM

2.3 hours I had the plugs changed...the dealer said the work pays around 4 hours before the recall but I'm sure any good mechanic can do that in under 3.5.

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - doctruptwn - 06-03-2008 10:35 AM

No notice yet, So I will call soon and find whats up, have a few other minor repairs to do.

Dealer Concerns - PAOSorento - 06-04-2008 07:10 PM

lok888 Wrote:

I just got the notice yesterday. The service bulletin actually has more detailed info for the recall. So exactly how long it will take for the job? The bulletin said 1.5 hours.

well dropped mine off at the dealer the night before....so they could have it for the day.....called around 2:30 today...now granted I dont know when they started on it..but the service manager stated, " we are still working on it and this is the first one we have done, so it will not be ready until the end of the day"" I told him do it right and dont rush to get it done and I would pick it up late tommorrow...doesnt sound like a 1.5 hour job.....but they aint charging me time.....

not exactly a ringinig vote of confidence here.....they have dont regular maintenance on the sorie.....but that was just oil, an o2 sensor replacement, resevoir coolant bottle replacement and all the drive belts and the timing belt.....with good results......soooooooo will wait and see.....
RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - K Spec - 06-04-2008 07:36 PM

The boys at Schaumburg Kia have done three Sorento recalls so far. My Sorie is headed in sometime next week.

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - Project03 - 06-06-2008 11:56 AM

Took it in at the dealership this morning for recall service and will be ready in the afternoon. Hope it will be done right.
Before

All done within 2hrs labor. The service was good Thumbsup

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - bigb - 06-10-2008 12:09 PM

had mine done yesterday. droped it off at 8am and they called me at 1 telling me it was done. i had no real appt. just drop it off and they would have it done by the end of the day.
the sorie seems to run alot more smoother. i had a slightly rough idle that is now gone. i know i had a air leak around my butterfly shaft seal. hopefully this will also bring my mpg up a little. but that is alot of hoping, haha.

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - PAOSorento - 06-12-2008 09:55 AM

well it took them two days to do it....actually a good day since they lost power during a storm....was the second one they had done..slow..but hey......its runs smoother...and my ticking sound is now gone.....did a 500 mile round trip and got 22 MPG at 75MPH with the AC running strong......

RE:  Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - JaxSorento - 06-12-2008 01:07 PM

K Spec Wrote:

The boys at Schaumburg Kia have done three Sorento recalls so far.  My Sorie is headed in sometime next week.

I was at my dealership last Friday making my appointment for the recall..... they have 12 bays of which 7 where occupied with Sorentos for the recall....! More Sorentos in N. FLA than I thought.
RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - sorentorocker - 06-12-2008 01:46 PM

Yeah, but I am willing to bet there were 7 stock Sorentos, and then one bad ass custom ride!Headbang

RE:  Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - sluke - 06-15-2008 10:29 PM

bigb Wrote:

so is this gonna fix the butterfly shaft seal?? i notice mine started leakin a little and i get a very light rough idle every now and again. if i spray carb cleaner around the shaft on the front of the maifold, the engine will rev a little higher.

i hope this also fixes this, because i was gonna get it fixed under the warrenty that came with it when i bought it (used) but if this will save me the 100 bux deductable i ll wait.

yes the new recall will fix the shaft seal problem. and the butterfly screws are now put in with blue lock tite so they wont be coming out it also comes with 3 new gaskets. the first one i did took me 2 and 1/2 hours next was 2 then 1.7 then 1.4, and that was all in the same day really the most time consuming part it removing the front and rear intake manifold studs.
RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - LXEdition - 06-16-2008 06:54 AM

Called my dealer on Friday because there is less than 1000km's left until the warranty's up and wanted them to check a few annoyances and KIA Canada just announced the recall mine will be in there on the 23rd for the service..

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - boking1965 - 06-25-2008 08:58 PM

Took the Sorento in for my appointment to have the recall done. Took them 2.5 hours and all is great. Seems to be running better. The dealership is Berlin City of Williston, Vermont. Headbang

RE:  Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - 07Sorento - 06-25-2008 09:07 PM

boking1965 Wrote:

The dealership is Berlin City of Williston, Vermont. Headbang

Hey thats were I go. I'll be there on Monday. Not for this recall issue. Glad the butterfly issue is getting taken care of.
RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - Radek - 06-25-2008 09:25 PM

Just got my letter today from Kia stating the recall:

Here is their understatement:

"What is the Problem?"

A metal clip which is part of the induction control valve (ICV) in the intake manifold of your vehicle's engine may break off. If this occurs, abnormal engine noise and vibration may occur along with impaired engine functioning and some loss of vehicle power. The problem may also illuminate the 'Check Engine" light on your vehicle's dashboard. The problem may exist and engine damage may occur without such "Check Engine" light illumination.

-------------------

The reason I find this humorous is due to the wonderfulness of Kiatechinfo.com:

DTC P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0301 - Cylinder 1-Misfire detected
P0302 - Cylinder 2-Misfire detected
P0303 - Cylinder 3-Misfire detected
P0304 - Cylinder 4-Misfire detected
P0305 - Cylinder 5-Misfire detected
P0306 - Cylinder 6-Misfire detected

Symptom EN2000 - Idle-irregularity
EN1000 - Hard/No start
EN3000 - engine start delay
EN9000 - MIL ON (Malfunction Indicator Lamp)
ENN001 - Noise

Some loss of power??

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - lok888 - 06-25-2008 11:08 PM

I had "P0306" two months ago on my '03 Sorento. Is this related to the ICV issue.

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - Radek - 06-26-2008 03:00 AM

according to KiaTechInfo, yes.

RE:  Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - cbotd - 06-26-2008 07:11 AM

lok888 Wrote:

I had "P0306" two months ago on my '03 Sorento. Is this related to the ICV issue.

It might, but I would also have them check the coil and plug in that cylinder. A missfire is the cause of the very annoying and mpg decreasing "shuddering" problem. That performance problem also pulls P0306 and is also a warranty item.
RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - lok888 - 06-26-2008 09:42 AM

I had the ignition coil and valve gasket replaced in a loca shop. Will I get the reimbrusement from Kia?

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - cbotd - 06-26-2008 09:45 AM

Not likely.

RE:  Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - LXEdition - 06-26-2008 12:30 PM

lok888 Wrote:

I had the ignition coil and valve gasket replaced in a loca shop. Will I get the reimbrusement from Kia?

Fat Chance, good luck...probably have a better time being Nutkick than fighting with KIA for something like that.
RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - Erv - 06-30-2008 04:54 PM

Got the recall done on mine. Immediately after getting in the car and starting the engine, I noticed a difference. It started up way quicker..like on the 1st crank..mine usually does 3 quick cranks and fires up.

Then, I started driving...the thing TOOK off and the acceleration seems a lot more..."consistent"...? I dunno, it just seems like the truck is very anxious to move, now (will rev up to 4.5k in 1st gear REALLY easy). On top of that, when it drops into 3rd, out of overdrive, it accelerates quicker and smoother, too.

I used to feel a vibration when accelerating, and now it is gone. My idle is also a lot smoother, too. Gas mileage still seems the same, though Sad

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - lok888 - 07-02-2008 09:57 AM

I also got mine done last weekend. It took 3 hours for the job including the oil change and tire rotation (I paid). I consider this is quick service on a Saturday morning. I also noticed they had to drain the anti-freeze coolant.

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - tkitch - 07-11-2008 08:18 PM

Good to see they are finally doing the right thing.
Does anyone know if this recall has hit Australia yet? they are a bit slow to catch on over here always takes them a while.
Cheers

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - SxySorento - 07-12-2008 06:54 AM

Heya tkitch,

Yes it has hit Australia...

read on of the threads titled Kia campaign...

having mine done on Monday in Sydney

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - Erv - 07-13-2008 08:02 PM

I had a P0304, and my car would sometimes shudder and my check engine light would illuminate for a few seconds, then everything would go back to normal and the check engine light would go out. I think once or twice, the car even died on me, while it was shuddering; It started right back up, though.

This would happen every once in a while, usually while I am stopped at a stoplight. On the rare occasion that it happened while I was accelerating, the car would make this loud ticking noise, and it would feel like my power was decreased SEVERLY - I'd even floor the car and the thing would downshift, but not go ANYWHERE.

Hasn't happened none this year, though.

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - KiaMech - 07-13-2008 11:02 PM

P0304 is a misfire in cylinder 4. It's either a lack of fuel or a lack of spark that would cause this code to be displayed by itself and be intermittent. My vote is for spark.

RE:  Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - Erv - 07-14-2008 10:48 AM

KiaMech Wrote:

P0304 is a misfire in cylinder 4. It's either a lack of fuel or a lack of spark that would cause this code to be displayed by itself and be intermittent. My vote is for spark.

Yeh, I took it in and they changed the spark plug...it has done it again since the plug has been changed, but not so much.
RE:   Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - cbotd - 07-14-2008 11:18 AM

Erv Wrote:

KiaMech Wrote:

Yeh, I took it in and they changed the spark plug...it has done it again since the plug has been changed, but not so much.

My guess is they need to replace the coil. Happened to me too. Coil and plug were replaced and the problem went away.
RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - JagGTX - 07-14-2008 08:11 PM

Just talked to the service manager he said my 03 doesn't apply for the recall although the kits are on order. Theyre gonna take a look at the crank case leak and see if they can repair it at no cost. Leak is a year old and they never caught it but strangely what they call the "$10/hr high school grad" at Mr.Lube caught the leak. The seal is only $12 but it's not about the money on this, they obviously haven't been doing everything the service receipt shows.

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - raceyvick - 08-08-2008 06:48 PM

Received my recall notice a couple of weeks ago. I decided to wait and let the initial "rush" settle. I'll call on Monday to schedule. I haven't noticed anything unusual with my sorie. She has 60,000 on her now and other than Kia replacing 3 sets of rotors for me under warranty....she is perfect.

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - Planecrazy - 08-12-2008 12:06 PM

This is for Kiamech. I have an '03 and have not received a recall notice. I'm noticing that some others are stating their '03 Sorentos are not part of this recall. Does that mean that we don't have a butterfly screw problem? What would be different on our Sorie's?

I just want to make sure we're not being excluded from a needed procedure, so thanks in advance for any investigation you do in finding out the answer!

Regards,

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - KiaMech - 08-12-2008 06:42 PM

The recall states that vehicles produced from 6/19/2002 ~ 4/21/2005 are affected. That sounds like all of them to me. They could be doing this in groups to keep from overloading the dealers, but it has been a while since it's come out.

Anyone get a notice recently?

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - JaxSorento - 08-13-2008 06:01 AM

Just got my notice about 2 weeks ago.

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - KiaLX - 08-20-2008 09:43 AM

Got mine as well two weeks ago and it is now done with the fuel gauge. As for the 6/19/02-4/21/05 being all of them. It is darn near close. As after 4/21/05 most were then MY 06 with 3.8L being built for rampup of NEW 3.8 ENG with 5spd Sport Shift Auto! lolol. It is very safe to assume if you got a 3.5 it needs to be done. Unless you bought a new eng already.

And KT2008020601 was superceded by KT2008052101

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - marcuslycus - 08-20-2008 01:23 PM

I got mine done yesterday. As a bonus they even washed the car --first time in 10 months.

-M-

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - 05sorento - 09-18-2008 07:33 PM

had mine done today. havent noticed any difference.

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - Planecrazy - 09-18-2008 09:38 PM

Still haven't received a notice ... will have to call the dealer again (last time I called was in early June and they claimed to know nothing at the time)...

Regards,

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - zx5power - 12-04-2008 07:50 PM

what exactly is this recall ?

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - KiaMech - 12-04-2008 07:55 PM

It's the ICV recall

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - cooper50 - 12-27-2010 03:37 PM

Hi all new to the forum and think all the info is great on here
my question is as my 03 3.5 is out of warranty do you think that i should call my KIA dealers and ask if they know of the recall and will they fix it for free. Thanks John.

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - KiaMech - 12-27-2010 05:46 PM

It's a recall, so they will fix it for free as long as it is one of the vehicles affected. If you bought it new, you should have received a notice in the mail. If you don't know if has been done, and are in the USA, PM me your VIN and I can tell you if it's been done already.

RE:  Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - texastillie - 02-15-2011 01:33 PM

KiaMech Wrote:

It's a recall, so they will fix it for free as long as it is one of the vehicles affected. If you bought it new, you should have received a notice in the mail. If you don't know if has been done, and are in the USA, PM me your VIN and I can tell you if it's been done already.

I'm wondering if you've heard of anyone having a problem with the replaced ICV part. My Sorento's heater had quit working consistently during the winter before I took it in for the recall repair (the following fall, in 2008), and the heater still wasn't working right when I took it in. (The AC had worked just fine during the summer in between in Texas!) They couldn't find anything wrong with the heater while it was in their shop, and I argued with them but got nowhere. When I drove my Sorento away from having the ICV replaced I realized that the heater was working again. How are these 2 related?

I'm wondering because now, 2 years later, my heater has not been working properly again this entire season (even tho the AC was fine all last summer), and last Friday I started hearing a loud thumping coming from the engine area. I can feel the impact of it when I'm sitting in the driver's seat! (It sounded like someone was trying to get out of there!) It started during a second very cold spell in our area and I attributed it to that until it did it again yesterday when it was 70 deg. outside. (My 14-yr-old son heard it too.) I didn't have any trouble with the ICV before having it replaced so I have no idea what that might have been like. This isn't constant; it's random and I've heard it only when idling but that might be because the car is just too noisy to hear it when driving. I had the timing belt replaced a year ago, transmission service almost 2 yrs ago, and 3 serp. belts replaced 3 years ago. What do you think?
Also, I have found an independent mech in our area who is "Master L1 certified" whatever that means. Could he work on my car without affecting my 14K more miles of warranty? Sorry this is so long. I just don't know what to do.
RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - KiaMech - 02-15-2011 06:10 PM

The ICV isn't related to your heater at all. Not even a little. Have you checked your coolant level lately? These things are notorious for cracked expansion tanks that can slowly (or quickly) leak out enough coolant to affect the heater but still keep the car from over heating.

I recommend an independent mechanic for repairs that are not covered by warranty. If you have a heater problem, and that part is not covered under warranty (basic warranty is over, but you still have the 10/100K) then having an independent mechanic repair it will not affect the remaining warranty.

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - texastillie - 02-15-2011 07:45 PM

Thanks so much. That helps a lot! Do you have any idea what the thumping might be under the hood?

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - KiaMech - 02-15-2011 08:15 PM

I can't think of anything under the hood that might thump so hard you could feel it in the seat. Can you describe the thump? When does it happen? How many thumps do you hear?

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - texastillie - 02-15-2011 08:42 PM

I hear it only when sitting, the car is idling. And not every time. It's only done it once or twice on Fri., once yesterday, and once today. It'll thump a few times then quiet then thump once or twice; it's random. Then I drive and I don't hear it anymore (but Kias let in a lot of road noise). The first time it did it, I stayed where I was because I seriously thought an animal was up in there, and the car started running rough, but when I finally moved it was fine. It runs fine otherwise. The dealership said not to drive it until I can get it in, that it sounds bad. I know they just want another car to work on, but it's worrying me. Does it sound like anything familiar?

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - KiaMech - 02-15-2011 08:47 PM

Do you have side steps?

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - texastillie - 02-15-2011 08:50 PM

No.

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - texastillie - 02-15-2011 09:28 PM

I don't have side steps. (Like the small platforms by the doors for getting into the car?)

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - KiaMech - 02-15-2011 10:09 PM

You probably need to get it looked at then. I'm not the one hearing it, so I can't tell you that it's no big deal. It could just be a shock or something simple, but it needs to be checked out by someone.

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - texastillie - 02-15-2011 10:52 PM

Okay, thanks, you were a huge help!

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - texastillie - 02-17-2011 09:44 AM

Took my Sorento to the ind. mech. and my car wouldn't make the sound. It was doing it just 3 mins before at Sonic! We agreed I'd drop it off on Fri. nite so he could look at the heater problem and maybe hear the thumping. He pointed out that the coolant was low and my insp. sticker had expired so I took it right away and got it inspected--passed--and went on to Walmart for coolant. Driving home, I noticed that when I needed to accelerate fast from a stop, my car did not pick up speed with a burst of energy like it always has done. (I feel sure it's been accelerating properly until now.)
Started it this morning and the check engine light is on. Did the "Sticker Station" do something to my car? I'm female and since these things happen to us a lot I'm suspicious. They are not part of a chain and I felt a bad vibe once I got in there--it was the closest place and on the way to Walmart, and I'm trying to conserve miles in case there's something wrong with the engine.

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - KiaMech - 02-17-2011 10:06 AM

I couldn't say much without a code for the light. Maybe they left something unplugged?

If you don't have a good feeling about a place, take it somewhere else. Most independent shops won't be shiny and new like a dealer, but the people inside should give you a good idea of what the shop is actually like. If you feel they are going to scam you, then they probably are.

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - texastillie - 02-17-2011 11:26 AM

Yes, like I said, I knew it was the only one on the way, I was trying to conserve my engine, and in my experience, once you KNOW your inspection sticker is expired a cop is going to notice it! Smile So, also, I didn't get the bad vibe until the guy already had my car. He was waiting right when we drove up. It's not that the place wasn't shiny and new; I don't need that just because I'm female. I'd been there years before but it seemed different once I got inside where there was nobody. My comment about the "chains" was just that they have more overseeing than independents. And believe me, you mentioned dealer--our local Kia dealership is anything but shiny and new.

RE: Recall for the infamous butterfly screws - urbanj51 - 02-24-2011 12:53 PM

What inspection are we talking about exactly? Never heard of such a thing.